Mel Arnold Chemistry Scholarship
The Melvin R. Arnold Science and Mathematics Scholarship is valued at $1,500 in the first year, $2,000 in the sophomore year, $2,500 in the junior year, and $3,000 in the senior year (this scholarship is in addition to any other academic scholarships with the total award not to exceed full tuition).
- Major in either biochemistry, chemistry or
- Minor in chemistry along with a major in biology, mathematics, or science secondary education
Minimum Grade Point Average of 3.5 (on 4.0 scale)
- Student must have completed or be in the process of completing one course in high school college preparatory chemistry with a “B” grade or better.
- Student must have completed or be in the process of completing pre-calculus (or equivalent math preparation) in high school with overall “B” grades in math.
- High school courses and grades will be verified by the Committee after review of the final transcript to determine the final disposition of the award.
- Scholarship renewability will be reviewed by the Melvin R. Arnold Scholarship Committee following the end of each semester.
- Mel Arnold Scholars must be making “satisfactory progress” towards a chemistry degree or an appropriate major in combination with a chemistry minor
- Mel Arnold Scholars majoring or minoring in chemistry are required to complete General Chemistry I & II in the freshmen year, Organic Chemistry I and II in the sophomore year, and one elective chemistry course in the junior year.
If you have any questions, please contact the admission office at 1-800-336-2554 or email email@example.com.
THE LEGACY OF MELVIN R. ARNOLD AT JAMESTOWN COLLEGE
Melvin R. Arnold, formerly of Ambrose, ND, graduated from The University of Jamestown (formerly Jamestown College) in 1938 with a major in chemistry. His life work was in chemicals and catalytic processes, and he retired after a career as an international consultant in catalysts and synthetic fuels. At the time of his death on November 11, 1993, he and his wife, LeVerna, were residing in Brownsville, Texas.
During his lifetime and through his estate, Mr. Arnold was a significant donor to University of Jamestown, amassing a cumulative giving record of more than $1.2 million. He established an annual chemistry scholarship in 1982, and through his estate, established the Melvin R. Arnold Chemistry Scholarship program for new freshmen with the first awards taking place in the 1997-98 school year.
Mr. Arnold expressed a great deal of pride in all University of Jamestown students. It is with this same sense of pride that his name and life’s work will be memorialized as part of the University of Jamestown legacy.
We thank you for your interest in the Melvin R. Arnold scholarship, and we wish you much success in your collegiate academic career.