Charles Keesee, PhD
PhD, Texas A&M University
Monday: 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Tuesday: 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
Wednesday: 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
Thursday: 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM; 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Friday: 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM; 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
Available at other times by appointment. If I am in my office and available, I will try to help. I check my email several times a day and will try to give at least an initial response to any email received same day. If a more detailed response is required, I will give an estimate of how long it will take to produce that response.
I grew up in Virginia. For my undergraduate education, I attended the Virginia Military Institute, where I earned a BS in Mechanical Engineering with an Aerospace Concentration and a Minor in History. I commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Army. My military education included:
- Ordnance Officer Basic Course
- Combined Logistics Captain’s Career Course
- Airborne School.
My duty stations included Fort Bragg, North Carolina with the 82nd Airborne and Fort Carson, Colorado as part of 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne). During my service in the Army, I also completed three combat deployments to Iraq for at total of 31 months. I resigned my commission in the Army as a Captain and moved to College Station, Texas for graduate school at Texas A&M.
In graduate school I was able to live out every Boy Scouts’ dream and play with fire for a living. I studied combustion, specifically the laminar flame speed of gaseous and liquid fuels. After completing both a master’s and PhD, I decided to pursue a career in teaching which led me to the University of Jamestown. I currently live in town with my wife (the Texas girl I somehow convinced to move to North Dakota), son, and golden retriever.
My Favorite Course to Teach
Scholarly and Creative Works
Selected Journal Articles:
- Keesee, C.L., Guo, B., Petersen, E.L., 2021. “Laminar Flame Speed Measurements of Kerosene-Based Fuels Accounting for Uncertainties in Mixture Average Molecular Weights,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 143 (4).
- Keesee, C.L., Guo, B., Petersen, E.L., 2021. “Proper Interpretation and Overall Accuracy of Laminar Flame Speed Measurements of Single- and Multiple-Component Liquid Fuels,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 38 (1). 2225-2234.
- Keesee, C.L., Guo, B., Petersen, E.L. 2020. “Laminar Flame Speed Experiments of Alternative Liquid Fuels,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 142 (1).
- Mulvihill, C.R., Keesee, C.L., Sikes, T., Teixeira, R.S., Mathieu, O., Petersen, E.L., 2019. “Ignition delay times, laminar flame speeds, and species time-histories in the H2S/CH4 system at atmospheric pressure,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 37 (1). ISSN 1540-7489.
- Mathieu, O., Keesee, C., Gregoire, C., Petersen, E.L., 2015. “Experimental and Chemical Kinetics Study of the Effects of Halon 1211 (CF2BrCl) on the Laminar Flame Speed and Ignition of Light Hydrocarbons,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A 119 (28) pp 7611-7626.
- Ravi S., Sikes, T.G., Morones, A., Keesee, C.L., Petersen E.L., 2015. “Comparative study on the laminar flame speed enhancement of methane with ethane and ethylene addition,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 35 (1) pp 679-686.
Selected Conference Papers:
- Keesee, C.L., Christiansen, K., Hibl, G., Bauer-Reich, C. 2022. “Design of a Wind Tunnel: A Student Project to Design and Build Their Own Tunnels as the Culmination of Fluid Mechanics Laboratory,” ASEE 2022 Annual Conference Minneapolis, MN June 26-29, 2022.
- Mathieu, O., Nakamura, H., Keesee, C.L., Yamamoto, Y. Tezuka, T. Mulvihill, C.R., Petersen, E.L. 2021. “A Comprehensive Experimental Investigation of Nitromethane Oxidation Kinetics Using a Wide Array of Techniques,” 12th US National Meeting of the Combustion Institute May 24 – 26, 2021 (Virtual).
- Krejci, M.C., Keesee, C.L., Vissotski, A.J., Ravi, S., Petersen, E.L., 2019. “Effect of Steam Dilution on Laminar Flame Speeds of Syngas Fuel Blends at Elevated Pressures and Temperatures,” ASME TurboExpo GT2019-90570. Phoenix, AZ, June 17 – 21, 2019.
- Keesee, C.L., Alturaifi, S.; Guo, B., Petersen, E.L., 2019. “Laminar Flame Speed and Laser Absorption Measurements of Conventional and Alternative Kerosene-Based Liquid Fuels,” 27th ICDERS Beijing, China July 28 – August 2, 2019.
- Keesee, C.L., Petersen, E.L., 2018. “Laminar Flame Speed and Laser Absorption Measurements of Various Kerosene-Based Fuels,” Central States Section of the Combustion Institute Minneapolis, MN, May 20-22, 2018.
- Keesee, C.L., Petersen, E.L., Zhang, K., Curran, H.J., 2015. “Laminar Flame Speed Measurements of Synthetic Gas Blends with Hydrocarbon Impurities,” ASME TurboExpo GT2015-42905. Montreal, Quebec, Canada June 15-19, 2015.
Awards and Grants
Military Awards, Decorations, and Qualifications:
- Bronze Star Metal
- Meritorious Service Metal
- Joint Service Commendation Metal
- Army Commendation Metal
- Army Achievement Metal
- Iraqi Campaign Metal
- Basic Parachutist Badge
- Baker Risk Turbomachinery Laboratory Fellowship – 2019
- Passed FE, 2004 – Virginia
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, member
- American Society for Engineering Education, member
- The Combustion Institute, member