If you are looking for a program that will allow you to apply your diverse interests and talents to manage and improve communications among a multitude of professional and personal interactions, we invite you to join our dynamic team of teachers and learners in an exciting journey to realize your potential and fulfill your promise
University of Jamestown Communication Arts Distinctions
The mission of the Department of Communication Arts is to provide students with a solid understanding of the communication discipline and its relevance to their lives; to prepare students for further education, career, and life beyond the University of Jamestown; and to teach critical thinking skills that will assist them in life-long learning.
The Department of Communication Arts offers a diverse curriculum in three different concentrations of the communications discipline. Instructional emphasis is put on the theories and practicalities of the field, as well as hands-on learning of the technology and practical skills required in an ever-changing environment. Department distinctions and opportunities include:
- Three degree concentrations: Convergent Media, Human Resources & Organizational Communication, and Interpersonal Communication.
- Co-curricular participation in the department’s Student Media Center, home to:
- The multiple award-winning student newspaper, TheCollegian and its companion website, www.ujcollegian.com
- KJKR 88.1 FM, a 4,000 watt FM radio station reaching more than 30,000 listeners
- KJKR-TV 16, a student-run cable television station serving over 8,800 homes in parts of four counties
- Small class sizes with the focus on excellence in teaching and student learning
- Significant opportunities for hands-on field experience, and co-curricular activities
- Graduates successfully employed in political communications; local, statewide, and national media organizations; strategic and public relations jobs; human resources management positions; and other career fields where the study of communication is paramount to success
- Our majors have also gone on to successful study in graduate school
Specific coursework for this major is outlined can be viewed or downloaded here.
Our Academic Catalogs provide information on policies and procedures, the admissions process, programs of study, and degree requirements.
As course offerings can change from semester to semester, working with the Registrar’s office will ensure that your courses are kept on schedule so that you can graduate in four years.
Certifications/Degrees: MA, Columbia University; PhD, University of Kansas
Teaches: Oral Interpretation of Literature; Interpersonal Communication; Communication Theory; Cross-Cultural Communication; Nonverbal Communication; Diversity Communication; International Communication; and Communication Honors Research Methods
Certifications/Degrees: MA in Mass Communication, North Dakota State University and BA in English (writing) and History-Political Science, University of Jamestown.
Teaches: Fundamentals of Public Speaking; Writing in the Professions; Conflict Management and Negotiation; Organizational Communication; Character in Leadership Freshman and Senior Seminar; Character in Leadership II and III.
Certifications/Degrees: MA, North Dakota State University
Teaches: Public Speaking
University of Jamestown
Department of Communication Arts
6060 College Lane
Jamestown ND, 58405
Irene Paasch, PhD Professor & Department Chair
email@example.com | PH: 701-252-3467 ext. 5578