- Small class sizes
- Active Psi Chi chapter and Student Psychology Association.
- Opportunities for hands-on field experience, International Study, and co-curricular activities.
- Faculty committed to classroom teaching as well as mentoring students who are conducting research.
- Opportunities to present research at the Annual Research Symposium and regional professional conferences.
- Courses that examine various counseling theories and techniques and emphasize the best practices in psychotherapy.
Gain real-life experience – all before your graduate.
Obtain work experience and make informed career choices through internships of a semester or more in length.
Spring or summer of sophomore year: Engage in job shadowing with one or more licensed counselors or other professionals for a one-week period. Job shadowing will take place at South Central Human Services, the North Dakota State Hospital, or other approved locations.
For those with an emphasis in Addiction Counseling: Apply to a 960-hour NDBACE-approved training practicum. Upon completion, you will be eligible to sit for the licensure exam in North Dakota.
- Psychiatrist (MD)
- Social Psychologist
- Sport Psychologist
- Clinical Psychologist
- Social Welfare Administrator
- Guidance Counselor
Placement Rate1Rate based University of Jamestown 2018 bachelor’s degree graduates 1
Expected salary range for a
psychology professional2Based on data from “FOCUS 2 CAREER” 2
|Psyc||101||General Psychology (3)|
|Biol||150||Introduction to Biology I with Lab (4)|
|Psyc||201||Psychology in Context (3)|
|Psyc||202||Research Methods (3)|
|Psyc||203||Developmental Psychology (3)|
|Psyc||209||Sophomore Experience in Addiction Counseling (1)|
|Psyc||302||Abnormal Psychology (3)|
|Psyc||318||Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences (3)|
Plus two of the following courses:
|Psyc||315||Social Psychology (3)|
|Psyc||317||Motivation and Emotion (3)|
|Psyc||365||Dynamics of Addiction (3)|
|Psyc||391||Junior Seminar (1)|
|Psyc||401||Professional Ethics (3)|
|Psyc||410||Fundamentals of Counseling (3)|
|Psyc||411||Group Counseling (3)|
|Psyc||412||Advanced Counseling (3)|
|Psyc||413||Family Counseling (3)|
|Psyc||420||Theories of Psychotherapy (3)|
|Psyc||450||History & Systems (3)|
|Psyc||498-499||Training Practicum in Addiction Counseling (if applicable) (6-12)|
Total Semester Credits Required: 60-72