Each of the computer labs will have a printer automatically configured as well as major-specific software relevant to that particular building.
When are the labs open?
|Lyngstad 209||M – F 8 am to 10 pm|
|Sorkness 101||M – F 8 am to 12 pm
Sat/Sun 10 am to 12 pm
|Orlady Lab||M – F school hours|
|Music Lab||M – F school hours|
Who can use the labs?
University of Jamestown computer labs are for use by University of Jamestown students, faculty, and staff only. No one else may use the labs without prior authorization by IT Services.
What are the lab rules?
- Campus computer labs are for use by University of Jamestown students, faculty, and staff.
- Food and beverages are not allowed. They can damage our equipment.
- The first priority for computer lab equipment is instruction and class assignments.
- During busy times, you may be asked to relinquish your computer if you are not doing class work.
- Copying software is illegal. Don’t do it.
- We are here to help. If you have any questions or problems, please ask for assistance.
- All users of University of Jamestown computing and networking equipment are expected to adhere to the UJ Student Acceptable Use Policy.
Do I have to sign in to use the labs?
While labs are available to use for students, faculty and staff when class is not in session, users will need to use their campus credentials to login to the computers.
Can I install software on the lab computers?
Can I save files on the lab computers?
Yes, but only temporarily and only while you are currently working on the computer. The hard drive of a lab computer is locked down and when you log out or if the computer is shut down for any reason (such as a power outage) all changes to the hard drive will be erased and you will lose all your data. Instead of using the hard drive use your U: (user) drive. Each student is given 200mb of storage space on their U: drive. Think of the lab computer hard drives as a place to store files temporarily, while you are working on them, but be sure to move them to your U: drive and/or a disk when you’re finished.
How do I get a job working in the labs?
Can I just go in and use the labs?
Many of the computer labs are used as classrooms, so be sure you check the schedule posted outside the door before entering. Do NOT enter a lab while a class is in session.
Can I print something out in color?
Yes, there is a color printer called libmain located in the Library. The cost per page to print at a color printer is $0.25. This is the case even if the document you are printing is only black and white.
Can I hook my laptop up in the labs?
Yes. All labs on campus have wireless internet available.
- Place your picture face down with the top right corner of the picture at the bottom left hand corner of scanner. (Be sure the scanner is on, the switch is on the right side of the scanner.)
- Press the green button located on the top left corner of the scanner.
- In the window that appears click on PhotoShop.
- A message box will pop up, click ok.
- If a registration dialog box appears select “Do not display this dialog again” and click ok.
- If asked to customize color settings, select no.
- PhotoShop will do a prescan. This is to show you what your scan will look like. You can make adjustments at this time.
- Click Scan.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 until all your pictures are scanned.
- Close the Epson Twain dialog box. Your scan will appear in Adobe PhotoShop.
- After the picture has been scanned click on File, Save As.
- Click on the down arrow by the Save as Type box.
- Choose the format that you wish to save it as (If you are going to use the picture for a webpage choose .jpg).
- Type the name of the file in the File Name box.
- Click Save.
- An image options window will appear allowing you to select an image quality. The default is medium, but you can adjust it to meet your needs.
- When finished be sure to shut the scanner off and log off the computer.