DEPARTMENT OF NURSING ADMISSION
APPLICATION FOR NURSING PROGRAM
Students must first apply and be accepted to the University of Jamestown prior to applying for acceptance into the nursing program.If you are not a student of University of Jamestown, the application for admission to UJ can be found here.
The application process for the Nursing Program is open to students of sophomore or higher status.
Nursing applications are only accepted during the month of November.
University of Jamestown – Department of Nursing
- Enrollment is limited. Students are admitted to the program using a formula that relies significantly on the cumulative grade point average. The formula used to determine acceptance also gives University of Jamestown students some advantage over transfers. No candidate is excluded on the basis of race, national origin, ethnicity, disability, religion, gender, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
- Acceptance in the Nursing Program may be rescinded at the discretion of the University of Jamestown based on the results of the criminal background check.
- Prerequisites cannot be fulfilled via CLEP or PEP.
- All transcripts of credit transfers from other colleges and universities must be in the Registrar’s office before entrance into the nursing program.
The criteria for admission to the nursing program is as follows:
- Completion of all nursing pre-requisites or their equivalents: Psych 203, Nrsg 205, Biol 208 and lab, Biol 216 and lab, Soc 101 or Soc 223. Biol 209 and lab may be taken before or concurrently with sophomore courses. Students who have received a grade lower than C- in one prerequisite may repeat that course and still be eligible to apply for the nursing major. Students who have received a grade lower than C- in more than one prerequisite course will not be considered for admission into the nursing major.
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.2 or higher.
For students who have met nursing pre-requisite courses and grade point requirements, please read the following instructions before you continue.
- Because you cannot re-enter the application, have all information available before you start.
- Locate your ACT Score.
- Locate your Nursing Pre-Requisite Grades (Psychology, Nutrition, Anatomy & Physiology I and Anatomy & Physiology I Lab, Microbiology and Microbiology Lab, and Introduction to Sociology OR Sociology of the Family). If you are currently enrolled in any of these classes, leave the grade blank on the application and enter semester/year of enrollment.
- Type a brief essay to upload with the application. Acceptable formats include: txt, rtf, odf, pdf, doc, docx. The essay should include your name and a description of the work, extra-curricular, and service activities in which you have been involved that have contributed personally to you, the university, and/or community. Indicate how you believe these experiences have prepared you for a career in nursing.
- Transfer students: Applicants transferring to the University of Jamestown must submit a final transcript of grades to the Registrar’s Office by the end of the fall semester or consult with the University of Jamestown – Department of Nursing Chair.
- Submit your application by the deadline date of November 30th. If you have questions or have trouble submitting the application, contact Katie at .
- Once your application is submitted, it will be unavailable to you. Shortly after, you will receive an email confirming receipt.
- At the end of December, you will receive an email from the Department of Nursing regarding your acceptance/denial to the nursing program.