DEPARTMENT OF NURSING
ADMISSION APPLICATION FOR NURSING MAJOR
I. TRADITIONAL ADMISSION PROCESS
Students must apply and be accepted to the University of Jamestown prior to applying for acceptance into the nursing major. The criteria for admission to the nursing major are as follows:
- Completion of all nursing prerequisites or their equivalents: Psyc 203, Nrsg 205, Biol 208 and lab, Biol 216 and lab, and Soc 101 or Soc 230. Biol 209 and lab may be taken before or concurrently with sophomore courses. Students who receive a D or an F in one prerequisite course may repeat that course and still be eligible to apply for the nursing major. Students who have received a D or an F in more than one prerequisite course will not be considered for admission into the nursing major.
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- Enrollment is limited. Students are admitted to the program using a formula that relies significantly on the cumulative grade point average. The formula used to determine acceptance also gives University of Jamestown students some advantage over transfers. No candidate is excluded on the basis of gender, creed, race, or age.
- Prerequisites cannot be fulfilled via CLEP or PEP.
II. APPLICATION PROCESS FOR NURSING MAJOR
For students who have met prerequisite and grade point requirements, please continue with the following instructions.
Because you cannot re-enter the application, please have the required information available before you start:
Locate your ACT score, if possible.
Locate your Nursing Pre-Requisite Grades (Psychology, Nutrition, Anatomy & Physiology I and Anatomy & Physiology I Lab, Microbiology and Microbiology Lab, and Introduction to Sociology OR Sociology of the Family). If you are currently enrolled in any of these classes, leave the grade blank and enter semester/year of enrollment.
- Type a brief essay to upload with to the application.
- Make sure your name is on the essay.
- Describe the extra curricular and work activities in which you have been involved that have contributed personally to you, the college, and/or community, indicating how you believe these experiences have prepared you for a career in nursing.
- Acceptable formats include txt, rtf, odf, pdf, doc, docx.
Submit a completed nursing program application by the deadline date of November 30th.
Applicants transferring to University of Jamestown must submit a final transcript of grades to the Registrar’s Office by December 26th or consult with the University of Jamestown Department of Nursing Chair.
Once your application is submitted, it will be unavailable to you and you will receive an email confirming receipt.
At the end of December, you will receive a letter from the Department of Nursing regarding your acceptance/denial to the nursing program mailed to the address provided on your application.