When off-campus, before a connection to the network drives or printers can be made, a connection to the VPN needs to occur first. To do that, follow this link: http://www.uj.edu/helpdesk/connecting-vpn
Network Drive Instructions
- Click on “Go” and choose “Connect to Server”.
- Under the Server Address box, type in the location of the drives (what appears behind the colon in orange below).
- After each drive, click the “+” sign to add the drive to your Favorite Servers.
- Here is the list of drives –
- U: Drive: smb://jc-fs2/home/username (use your username instead of “username”)
- W: Drive: smb://jc-fs2/web/username
- L: Drive: smb://jc-fs2/lab
- H: Drive: smb://jc-fs2/homework
- T: Drive: smb://jc-fs2/temp
- P: Drive: smb://jc-fs2/public
- After they are all added to your Favorite Servers, click on any one of them and click “Connect”.
- It will prompt you for your username and password.
- Type in your JC username and password and check the box to save this information to the keychain.
- The drives are now added and you are authenticated. From now on, you should be able to just click on “Go” and choose “Connect to Server”, choose the drive you want, and click “Connect”.
If you have problems connecting to a drive, please fill out a Helpdesk Trouble Ticket and we will assist you as soon as possible.
- Obtain the printer name. This is usually located on the printer itself. It will be something like HP_SE4, HP_KR3, etc… There is also a list below.
- Click the Apple and choose “System Preferences”.
- Click the “+” to add a new printer.
- Towards the top of the Add Printer window hold down the control key while clicking on the toolbar.
- Select ‘Customize Toolbar’ from the drop-down menu.
- Drag the ‘Advanced’ icon (it looks like a little gear) onto your toolbar.
- Click ‘Done’
- Click the ‘Advanced’ icon.
- Wait a few seconds as it says it is ‘searching for printer’.
- For printer type, select ‘Windows Printer via Spoolss’ (why two s’s is beyond me).
- For Device, leave it at ‘another device’.
- For the URL, type: smb://jc-pr1/PRINTERNAME (the name of the printer can be found below).
- For the name, give it a name which will help you identify the printer.
- All of the printers on campus will work if you print using: Generic PostScrtipt Printing, but color printing might not be available.
- Click Add.
- When you print, it will prompt you for a username and password. That is your JC username and password.
- When it asks if you want to save the certificate, that is your Mac username and password.
- When there are issues, it is usually due to username and password confusion. To fix that, go into the keychain access and clear out passwords.
Prentice First Floor: HP_PR1
Prentice Second Floor: HP_PR2
Prentice Third Floor: HP_PR3
Kroeze 1st Floor B Section: HP_KR1
Kroeze 2nd Floor A Section: HP_KR2
Kroeze 1st Floor D Section: HP_KR3
Kroeze 2nd Floor C Section: HP_KR4
Kroeze 2nd Floor E Section: HP_KR5
Seibold 1st Floor: HP_SE1
Seibold 2nd Floor: HP_SE2
Seibold 3rd Floor Girls Section: HP_SE3
SEibold 3rd Floor Boys Section: HP_SE4
Watson 1st Floor: HP_WT1
Watson 2nd Floor: HP_WT2
Watson 3rd Floor: HP_WT3
Fargo LIbrary: pt-lib
If you have problems connecting to a printer, please submit a Helpdesk Trouble Ticket and we will assist you as soon as possible.