If you love working with youth and can picture yourself sharing your love for learning with today’s middle school and high school students, we invite you to join our dynamic team of teachers and learners in an exciting journey to realize your potential and fulfill your promise as an elementary teacher. Our Secondary Education degree program provides a comprehensive and exciting academic curriculum complimented with all of the requirements for secondary teacher licensure.
University of Jamestown Secondary Education Distinctions
As a Secondary Education major at University of Jamestown, you’ll benefit from:
- Six approved areas of study for teacher licensure including biology, chemistry, English, history, mathematics, music and physical education
- Numerous hands-on opportunities to meet and work with educators and students in the community
- The latest information with regard to legislation and regulations affecting the teaching profession
- Small class sizes with the focus on excellence in teaching and student learning
- Significant opportunities for international study, hands-on field experience, and co-curricular activities
- 98% average placement rate within six months after graduation for 2010 and 2011 graduating seniors.
- University of Jamestown students are equipped with the skills necessary to face the demands and challenges of the teaching profession and who are well-prepared and confident that they will make an important difference in the lives of children and young adults.
- Students are encouraged to join the Student North Dakota Education Association, a professional organization which exposes members to greater knowledge of their field and provides opportunities to meet other education students and professionals. Other organizations in early childhood education, reading, mathematics, and science also afford opportunities for participation.
- Eligible students are invited to join Pi Lambda Theta, the international honor society and professional association in education.
Our Academic Catalogs provide information on policies and procedures, the admissions process, programs of study, and degree requirements.
As course offerings can change from semester to semester, working with the Registrar’s office will ensure that your courses are kept on schedule so that you can graduate in four years.
Certifications/Degrees: PhD, University of North Dakota
Teaches: Elementary, Early Childhood Education content and methods courses, and graduate courses
Certifications/Degrees: Ed.D., Nova Southeastern University
Teaches: Introduction to Teaching, Instructional Media & Technology, Mathematics for Elementary Teachers, Mathematics Methods: Elementary & Middle School, Integrating Tech in Teaching/Learn
Certifications/Degrees: M Ed, University of Illinois at Chicago
Teaches: Elementary Curriculum, Language Arts, Reading, Social Studies, and Children’s Literature; Secondary Reading in the Content Areas; Elementary and Secondary Pre-service Practicum students’ placements and student teaching supervision
Certifications/Degrees: MS, University of North Dakota
Teaches: Creative Arts in the Classroom, Middle School Foundation and Philosophy, methods courses, Strategies, Classroom Management, and special topics
University of Jamestown
Teacher Education Department
6043 College Lane
Jamestown ND, 58405
- Caroline Hagen, PhD Professor & Department Chair